The highly-desired Otranto neighborhood was originally know as “Yeshoe” or “Yeowee” (which means “Goose Creek” in Native American tongue) and was a historical plantation named after Horace Walpole’s novel The Castle of Otranto, and became known as “Otranto” after 1771. The area was founded in 1678 by Arthur and Edward Middleton and is known for its primary crop of indigo; it has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1977. The Otranto subdivision is currently located on the land that once made up the plantation. Although many of the homes in the neighborhood were built in the mid 1970’s, many of them have undergone extensive refurbishment and renovations. Exterior features in some of the homes include private swimming pools, attached garage, spacious lots and generous yards, lake views, and more. The entrance to the neighborhood is located behind Stokes Honda North on Rivers Avenue. The neighborhood is zoned for Hanahan Elementary, Hanahan Middle, and Hanahan High Schools, which are located just a few minutes from the neighborhood entrance.